shacks File picture of shacks erected on the Central line just outside Langa train station.
Image: Henk Kruger/African News Agency (ANA)
Cape Town’s Central Line remains closed due to informal structures occupying sections of the railway corridor. The service was scheduled to resume last year, but relocation efforts are ongoing.
Zinobulali Mihi, spokesperson for the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA), confirmed that informal settlements on the rail reserve remain.
“The squatters were never relocated. However, we are working together to infill them so that our service is not disrupted,” Ms Mihi said.
Previously, the central line's rehabilitation has been marred by the more than 5 000 people occupying the tracks between Langa and Philippi stations in 2022, (“Commuters need rail services back on track,” Plainsman, February 16, 2022). PRASA has emphasised that relocation is essential to restoring full operations safely. However, there is no confirmed timeline for when this process will be completed, said Ms Mihi.
In May last year, PRASA held a meeting with leaders to discuss the rezone of a site in Philippi known as the Philippi Wedge so that it can be used to relocate people occupying the tracks temporarily. The second part of the meeting dealt with how Mitchell’s Plain could benefit when the railway was operational. ("’Plain train line on track" Plainsman May 15, 2024).
PRASA is working under an intergovernmental relations agreement (IGR) to relocate residents that live along the central corridor. Financial details of the recovery project have not been disclosed due to security concerns, she said.
The first test train from Chris Hani to Cape Town ran on Monday March 24. These were trial operations and repairs conducted to prepare for full-service restoration. PRASA has also stated that infrastructure repairs, including track maintenance and station refurbishments, are ongoing, she said.
MURA (Mitchell's Plain United Residents Association) deputy chairperson Michael Jacobs said they're certainly not happy that the "goalposts have been shifted numerous times and the extended delays not in the interest of the Mitchell's Plain community."
Sub-council 17 chairperson Elton Jansen confirmed that public input has been submitted but has not yet been tabled. The City’s Deputy Mayor and Mayoral Committee Member for Spatial Planning and Environment, Eddie Andrews stated that reports on the Philippi Wedge are still being finalised and will be presented to the Municipal Planning Tribunal (MPT) once ready. No decisions have been made pending the completion of these reports.
Councillor Rob Quintas, the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Urban Mobility, stated that the City Manager signed a Service Level Plan (SLP) with PRASA on February 21. The agreement, required under the National Land Transport Act, establishes a joint planning committee. All parties have signed, and planning is in progress. Quintas confirmed that the SLP outlines the framework for collaboration between the city and PRASA to improve public transport integration.